S2s Boys Coaches
Our players and coaches work hard all year round preparing our players for high school lacrosse and beyond. We cultivate leaders on and off the field in a family-friendly environment.
DIRECTOR AND COACH
Coach Higgins was a 4-year starter for Princeton University and a member of the 1992 and 1994 National Championship teams. He was a 3 time All-American, earning First Team All-American honors in 1994 and 1995. He was captain of the team in 1995 and received the William Winston Roper Trophy, which is awarded annually to the “Outstanding Princeton Athlete of High Scholastic Rank.” He was also awarded the 1995 Most Outstanding Princeton Lacrosse Player. In addition to playing at Princeton, Higgins played for the United States on the 1992 U-19 Gold medal team, where he earned the games’ Most Valuable Player award. Prior to Princeton, Coach Higgins played lacrosse for Paul D. Schreiber High School in Port Washington. He was a 2- time high school All-American and helped lead Port Washington to the Nassau County championship in 1990, where he was the MVP.
- St. Dominic High School- (Current) Varsity Defensive Coordinator
- Half Hollow Hills West HS – Varsity Defensive Coordinator
- Manhasset 32 – Coach
- Manhasset PAL – Coach
- Road Runners Lacrosse Club – Coach and Director
- Three Time All-American at Princeton University
- Two Time National Champion at Princeton University
- Member of the Long Island Lacrosse Hall of Fame
DIRECTOR AND COACH
• Shore 2 Shore Co-Founder • Dalernation Lacrosse Club – Director, Coach • Molloy College – Head Defensive Lacrosse Coach • Long Beach High School – Head Assistant Varsity Coach • Farmingdale High School – Assistant Varsity Coach • Millon International Lacrosse Camp – Coach and Assistant Director • All-American at UMASS Playing Achievements • 2000 MLL Bridgeport Barrage Pro Lax League • 1999 MLL Professional Lacrosse Tour • 1998 USA World Cup Lacrosse Team • 1996 Division 1 College All American, UMass • 1996 Voted Top Long Stick Pole Midfielder in the Nation • 1993-96 All New England • 1992 USA U-19 Team (Alternate) • 1991 High School All American and Captain Education and Certification • NYS Duel General and Special Education Certification • Childhood Education Grades 1-6 • Touro College • Master of Science in Childhood Education • University of Massachusetts • Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
DIRECTOR AND COACH
Coach Rooney is entering his third season as the Varsity Head Coach at St. Dominic HS. In 2019, Coach Rooney led the Bayhawks to the New York State CHSAA Class A Championship where he also earned coach of the year honors. Prior to St. Doms, Rooney was the Head Varsity coach at Half Hollow Hills West for 2 years. Prior to Hills West, he spent four years as the Head Coach at Port Washington and six years as Head Assistant Coach at Syosset. Coach Rooney has been involved with Nassau County Boys’ lacrosse for some twenty years achieving a great level of success.
- St. Dominic High School- Head Coach
- 2019 NY State CHSAA Class A Champions
- 2019 CHSAA Class A Coach of the Year
- 2019 Under Armor All-America Games Coach
- 2006-2011 – Syosset HS, Defensive Coordinator 2x Nassau County Champions, Long Island Champions, State Finalist
- 2006 – Head Coach Bermuda National Team at the World Championships
- 2012-2015 – Port Washington HS Head Coach 3x Nassau County Semi-Finalist, County Finalist,
1st Semi- Finalist Appearance in 10 years
- 2016-2017 – Hills West HS Head Coach, Ray Enners Game Winner, Suffolk County Playoff Team
- Has Coached Numerous High School All-Americans & Division 1,2 & 3 college players.
- 2012-Present – Director Brine National Lacrosse Classic, Long Island Tryouts
Freeport HS Assistant Varsity coach for the past 11 years • Legacy Lacrosse Club – 6 years • UMass Assistant Coach- 2003/2004 • St John’s University Assistant Coach- 2004/2005 MLL • 10 year playing career, Boston Cannons, Long Island Lizards • 2003- 3rd overall pick MLL Draft (Boston Cannons) • 2005 – MLL Hardest Shot (109) • 2005- MLL First Team All pro • 5x MLL All star • Warrior Players Club UMASS Class of 2003 • 2003- USILA 1st Team All American and Tewaaraton Award Finalist • 2003- ECAC Player of the Year • 2003 – All New England First team • 2003- Selected for North South Game • 2002- USILA Honorable Mention All American • 2002- All ECAC First Team • 2002- All New England First team
Steven attended Helwett High School and was an All-American. Following Helwett, Steven attended Hofstra where he captained the team his senior year. While at Hofstra, Steven was an All CAA, and All American SSDM for the Pride. Upon graduation he was drafted by the Rochester Rattlers and also played for the Chesapeke Bayhawks and Long Island Lizards of the MLL. Steven also made the 2018 USA Team that won Gold, and is a current member of the PLL’s Atlas. • Dodgers Club Lacrosse – Owner • Holy Trinity H.S.- Head Varity Coach • Hewlett H.S.- Head Varity Coach • All-American at Hofstra
Head Boys Varsity Lacrosse Coach Herricks HS 2013-present (won Nassau County Most Improved Team Award 2015) • Assistant Boys Varsity Lacrosse Coach King Park HS 2010-2013 • Assistant Boys Varsity Lacrosse Coach MacArthur HS 2008-2010 (won Nassau County Coaching Staff Sportsmanship Award 2008-2010) • Assistant Men’s Lacrosse Coach Vassar College 2005-2008 Lacrosse Achievements • Played NCAA at Vassar College 2001-2005 • Played NCAA at Brown University 2000-2001 • Played HS at Chaminade 1997-2000
Rooney’s passion and playing started at age 5. Lacrosse is in his blood as his 2 older brothers are accomplished lacrosse players. He was a two sport standout athlete at Floral Park HS. He was a 4 year starter on both the lacrosse and football team. He also captained both teams and was a 2x All-County selection as well in each sport. He was also selected Team MVP in lacrosse and football as well as ranking in top for lacrosse points and touchdowns at Floral Park. He then continued at Nassau Community College where he started and won a National Championship. He finished his playing days at Virginia Wesleyan where he was selected captain, team MVP, and earned the distinguished Leadership Award. He has been involved with Floral Park PAL for years. He currently coaches 2nd grade team and runs winter clinics. In College, he helped run clinics/ evaluations for his coach. After college, he spent time in Florida coaching and building a youth program in Parkland. He also ran clinics and coached select teams. Brendan then started lacrosse at Bishop Loughlin HS in Brooklyn. He created the first team, and made the playoffs by year two. While coaching at Loughlin, he was a board member of Brooklyn Lacrosse Club where he organized and ran free clinics for inner city athletes that wanted to learn about lacrosse. He also coached and ran clinics for the Brooklyn Crescents and was an advisor to the development of lacrosse. He received the honor of being selected 2015 US Lacrosse Coach of the Year. He then took over the Malverne/ East Rockaway Lacrosse program in 2016. He boosted the number of lacrosse participation to highest level in program history. He also ran the beginners boys, beginners girls, and advanced lacrosse camps in Herricks. Currently, Rooney is an assistant coach at St. Dominic High School in Oyster Bay.
Jacovina was the Denver Outlaws’ 2007 first round Major League Lacrosse Draft Pick. He began the 2008 season with Denver before being picked up by the Boston Cannons for the remainder of the campaign. Jacovina finished his UMass career with 84 points on 30 goals and 54 assists and collected 94 groundballs over 60 games. He took home New England Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association Eighth Division I All-New England Senior Scholar Athlete honors as well as Face-Off Magazine Preseason Third Team All-America. A four-year letterwinner at Holy Trinity High School, the Hicksville, N.Y., native tallied a remarkable 139 points on 42 goals and 97 assists as a senior and finished his career with a school-record 404 points. Jacovina was named NSCHSAA All-Long Island in each of his four years and was the Long Island Player of the Year in 2003. The 2002 Wendy’s High School Heisman nominee also excelled in football and basketball during his scholastic career • C. 34- Coach and Trainer • UMass D1 Lacrosse- Asst. Coach • Johns D1 Lacrosse- Asst. Coach • All-American at UMASS
Coach Jones is entering his 4th season as the Head Varsity Lacrosse coach at Plainview -Old Bethpage. Before becoming head coach, he served as the varsity assistant under Chris Rogler. He is currently a high school science teacher in the Plainview – Old Bethpage school district where for the past 8 years he has coached Football and Lacrosse . He graduated from SUNY Cortland in 2009 where he earned a degree in Biology while playing football